Traditions, Events, and Trips
Traditional events at The College of New Rochelle include the Activities Fair, Founder's Day, Family Weekend, Spirit Competition, and the Strawberry Festival.
Each fall, we welcome our CNR families to campus in an autumn tradition that celebrates our students and their families. Through an array of events that highlight student life and athletics, families are given the opportunity to visit the campus and engage in our students' experiences.
We have many special events, including a Honors Convocation and Luncheon, Fall Fair, and CNR Homecoming (including a tailgating party)!
Celebratedtowards the end of the spring semester StrawFest is the single largest event organized entirely by the College's undergraduates — the Student Government Association. Held on Maura Lawn and open to the public, , the day includes strawberry-themed food, music, vendors, games, and student/community organizations’ performances.
StrawFest was introduced by the College in 1972. The concept of the Strawberry Festival originated in the Midwest during the 1890s as an American festival celebrating the ripening of strawberries, the blooming of lilacs, and the coming of summer.
The Office of Student Activities and the Student Government Association sponsor additional events throughout the year, including:
- Brain Breaks (during final exams week)
- Movie Nights
- Game Nights (Indoor and Outdoor)
- Diversity Programs
- Educational and Social Activities that celebrate months such as Hispanic Heritage, Black History, Breast Cancer Awareness, Women's History, and Domestic Violence Awareness months
- Awareness Days and Weeks (Alcohol Awareness, AIDS Awareness, Take Back the Night)
- Costume Party
- Holiday Vendor Fair
Off-campus excursions organized by Student Activites have included:
- Broadway shows
- Professional sporting events (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, and more)
- Museum trips: Metropolitan Museum of Art, MoMA, etc.
- Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum
- Wolman Skating Rink in Central Park
- Shopping malls and outlet centers
- Medieval Times
- Six Flags Great Adventure