International Students

Students with student visas obtained through the Registrar's Office are subject to certain regulations while at the College. They are urged to introduce themselves to the Office of Residence Life to ensure that their general concerns, interests, and housing needs are met. The Office of Residence Life will help facilitate a successful transition to The College of New Rochelle and the community at large.


The transcripts of international students are evaluated in accordance with the educational procedures of the native country. Emphasis is placed on the international student's facility with the English language.

Students whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by achieving a minimum score of 550 (or 213 on the computerized exam) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) which is administered by the Educational Testing Service. English language proficiency may also be demonstrated by achieving a score of 109 on the ESL Language Test. A score of 80 is acceptable for admission, although ESL classes may be required.

International transfer students must have their credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES. In addition, international students must submit a Certification of Finances to enable the College to issue an I-20 form.


A certificate of eligibility for a visa (Form I-20 or IAP-66) certifying that the foreign student has sufficient funds to finance at least the first year of study must be issued by the College when a student is accepted for admission. All international students do qualify for merit-based scholarships.

More opportunities exist for aid before the prospective student leaves her home country than in the United States. Before departure, the student should consult with his or her own government, the U.S. government, and private and/or international agencies and organizations.

For more information, contact Carmen Rosa, Associate Registrar-PDSO-CSO and International Student Advisor, at (914) 654-5543 or


Obtaining a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status) requires the following documents:

  • Copy of acceptance letter from The College of New Rochelle, on official letterhead
  • Copy of scholarship and/or assistanship letter, if applicable
  • Copies of all previous Form I-20, if applicable
  • F-1 Student Transfer Information Form, if applicable
  • Change of Status Form, if applicable
  • Student's Request for Form I-20
  • Proof of accident and health insurance
  • Copy of I-901 payment receipt, if applicable
  • Financial documentation
    • Notarized Affidavit of Support with proper documentation or International Student Certification of Finances, two sets of originals
      1. Notarized official bank letter on letterhead indicating type and amount in account
        1. date account opened
        2. total amount deposited for the past year
        3. present balance
      2. Copy of sponsor's lease or evidence of their property ownership
      3. Statement of employment and annual income on company letterhead
        1. date and nature of employment
        2. salary
        3. whether position is temporary or permanent
      4. If self-employed:
        1. copy of last income tax return filed, or
        2. report of commercial rating concern
      5. Evidence of Student's Personal Funds: Notarized official bank letter on letterhead
  • Copy of passport, to be submitted with Student's Request for Form I-20
  • Visa, after entry into United States
  • Form I-94, after entry into U.S.
  • Ethnicity form, after entry into U.S.

Documents must be current — less than two months old. All information must be submitted in English, with amounts listed in U.S. dollars.