Guidance and Counseling Advanced Certificate
The Advanced Certificate in Guidance and Counseling is a specialized program that provides permanent certification to students holding a master’s degree in School Counseling. The multidisciplinary program gives students the opportunity to hone their skills in a variety of areas, such as grief and bereavement and advanced counseling.
You will develop your expertise through hands-on practicums and internships. Successful completion of the program leads to New York State Certification, which enables you to work as a School Counselor in a variety of school settings.
These courses are to be chosen in conjunction with a faculty advisor.
Elective Courses - 15 Credits
- CLD 617 - Career Planning, Processes, & Procedures 3 cr.
- CLD 622 - Understanding, Evaluating, and Using Career Development Resources 3 cr.
- CLD 624 - Planning, Conducting and Evaluating Workshops 3 cr.
- CLD 642 - Holistic Approaches to Stress Management 3 cr.
- GRT 601 - Organizational Development 3 cr.
- GRT 614 - Dying and Death 3 cr.
- GRT 615 - Grief, Mourning, and Bereavement 3 cr.
- GSC 595 - Working with Parents 3 cr.
- GSC 610 - The Role of the Elementary and Middle School Counselor 3 cr.
- GSC 637 - College Placement Process and Procedures 3 cr.
- GSC 692 - Children, Adolescents, Loss and Death 3 cr.
- GSC 711 - Advanced Supervised Internship 3 cr.
- GSC 900 - Special Topics in Counseling 3 cr.
- PSY 688 - The Understanding and Treatment of Addictive Behavior 3 cr.
- PSY 692 - Family Process and Therapy II 3 cr.
- PSY 779 - Advanced Counseling Skills and Techniques: Adults 3 cr.
- PSY 781 - Advanced Counseling Skills and Techniques: Children & Adolescent 3 cr.