Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
This program is designed for those who seek initial professional certification in early childhood education and initial professional certification to teach young children with disabilities in inclusive, center-based, home, or school settings.
Coursework is aligned with the NYS Learning Standards and is designed to provide you with content on working in early childhood education and with children with disabilities across contexts. The sequence will provide you with skills to work with young children with mild, moderate, severe, or profound learning disabilities and behavior disorders. The literacy courses, in particular, will emphasize young children with mild language or learning disabilities.
The program offers challenging educational experiences to ensure that you achieve the highest standards of academic excellence. Courses in the program reflect a strong cognitive developmental perspective and focus on developing teachers who have an appreciation and respect for the full range of intellectual, social, emotional, physical, cultural, and spiritual differences among their colleagues and students.
NEW YORK TEACHER EDUCATION STANDARDS
In accordance with the New York Teacher Education Standards, the program provides substantive coursework, supervised field experiences and in-depth reflective seminars. To graduate, candidates must demonstrate mastery of pedagogical knowledge, understandings, and skills appropriate for
teaching in early childhood (birth through second grade).
Required Courses - 39-42 Credits
- EDU 512 - Foundations of Education 3 cr.
- EDU 550 - Child Development 3 cr.
- EDU 551 - Cognition and Instruction 3 cr.
- ECE 511 - Curriculum Development in Early Childhood 3 cr.
- EDU 513 - Math, Science, and Technology in the Classroom 3 cr.
- SED 519 - Multicultural Creative Arts, Content, and Curriculum for Young Diverse Learners 3 cr.
- LIT 503 - Using Literature in the Classroom 3 cr. OR LIT 501 - Introduction to Literacy Instruction 3 cr.
- SED 543 - Testing and Assessment 3 cr.
- SED 560 - Instructional and Curricular Components for Teaching Students with Autism and Severe Disabilities 3 cr.
- SED 565 - Models, Policies, and Practices in Early Childhood Special Education 3 cr.
- SED 566 - Planning and Implementation of Effective Programs and Interventions For Young Children with Disabilities 3 cr.
- SED 893 - Leadership Seminar in Early Childhood Special Education: Field Practicum and Research with Special Project 3 cr.
- ECE 322 - Student Teaching for Early Childhood and Early Childhood Special Education 3 cr. 2 sites (if needed)
Teacher Certification Workshop Series - No Credit
The Certification Workshop Series is required for initial certification. No credit is given for this required workshop series. The sessions are divided into the following topics:
- WCS 983 - Identification & Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect (2 hours)
- WCS 984 - School Violence Prevention and Intervention (2 hours)
- WCS 985 - Child Abduction Prevention
- WCS 986 - Substance Abuse Prevention and Awareness
- WCS 987 - Health and Safety Issues with Fire Safety and Arson Prevention
- WCS 990 - DASA: Bullying Prevention Training